From: "RAUBER, JOEL" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: Pedagogy

First I'd like to commend Fernanda for raising the question and for
sticking
with the thread despite some aspects that must feel uncomfortable. I
debated whether or not to respond but decided to make a comment about one
very very narrow aspect of the original post and this excerpt from a
subsequent post.

| But you are going to the extreme...I'm not asking a professor
| to do all the problems, but how can anyone teach classical
| mechanics or thermodynamics without showing ANY!

The original post noted that the classical mechanics professor was using
Marion for his/her notes. I know the text well and would observe that
there
are many worked out examples in that text. Furthermore, a trip to the
library and checking out the classical mechanics section would yield-up
many
other texts at an equivalent level that will have many worked out
examples.

Joel R.