Re: Pedagogy

We maintain a fairly long bookshelf in our library of "alternative
textbooks." These are textbooks roughly equivalent to the required
text, but not adopted for one reason or another. I often refer students
to these alternative texts so they can find more worked-out examples
than their text contains.

Those students who heed this advice usually benefit greatly. However, I
find that those who do not heed this advice typically are not reading
the "required" textbook either. How can I expect them to look for
worked-out problems in alternative texts when they haven't even bothered
to read their own text.

Worse, we are finding that 50% (sometimes more) of our students don't
even buy the "required" textbook. They hope to save money and assume
they should be able to pass the course simply by coming to the lectures.
They think the only thing valuable in the textbook is the assigned
problems, and they can get those from someone who did buy the book. I
keep telling them it makes no sense for them to spend thousands of
dollars on tuition and room and board, and then risk this investment by
not spending an extra $100 for a textbook.

Book sharing is also common. This is causing me to experience a fair
number of the following student requests...

(1) Could I hand in the problems tomorrow because when I wanted to work
them last night the person I am sharing the book with had the book and
so I didn't have access to the problems.

(2) Can I take tomorrow's exam a day late because tonight is the other
person's night to have the textbook, so I won't be able to study until
tomorrow night.

These don't hold any water with me, and I tell the students that this
excuse ranks right up there with "my dog ate my homework." Sometimes
when I tell that to students, they get angry and think I am not a caring
professor. I tell them that I do care for them, and that is why I
advise them to buy the book, read it, carefully work through the example
problems, then solve some problems on their own (for which the answers
are provided), and then do the assigned problems. And, if they are
having difficulty on any aspect of this, come and visit me during office
hours.

The usual reponse after I say this is: "I don't have time for all that.
Student's need to have lives, you know."

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton College
Bluffton, OH 45817