Re: Pedagogy

This is exactly what I try to do with my lab students. many don't see the
correlation between an electron gun and the tv in their home. How
researched that seemed mundane and stupid to some not so scientifically
inclined, turned out to be one of the worlds biggest investions.

I've had students that have taken calculus, gotten an A and cant describe
what an integral is, but they know how to solve it. How's that you figure?
many professors don't bother to explain even simple ideas like this.

it takes me only a few seconds to explain how the experiment they are about
to perform is important to the whole picture and how optics helps them in
everyday things...so I agree with you and whomever Tobias is, that in some
cases, it's not that obvious, but a little extra time goes a long way.

Afterall, what is the point? to teach them the subject or to assume them to
stupid to see the connections? It's this elitism taht I speak of...its an
ego getting in the way to teaching a pupil.

No, Tobias doesn't want us to "dumb down," our science courses, but
humanize them--let the students know why it is important that they
know these things, or at least know of their existence. This can be
done without unnecessary loss of rigor. Not only will it make our
citizenry better informed it will make our science more human.