Re: Integrated Circuit data book

Gary Turner wrote:
Is there a good reference showing pin identification for standard IC
chips?

Also, where would I find a list containing IC numbers tabulated
against function (all I can find is catalog listings showing function
tabulated against number - but that's a hassle if you just want to
know what chip you need to do a certain task)

1) The notion of "standard IC" is rapidly becoming an oxymoron.
TTL and CMOS SSI/MSI chips still exist, but they are less and
less likely to be useful in new designs, since you can get
LSI and VLSI (gate arrays and processor "stamps") for jellybean
prices nowadays.

2) But to answer the question, yes, such references exist.
The books I've used all took the form of manufacturers'
catalogs. The TI catalog is(was?) canonical for TTL LSI/MSI,
and National & Motorola are(were?) typical for CMOS.
We're talking about thick books where every page is a
datasheet of the form
http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/MM/MM54C00.pdf

3) According to amazon, the TI book is out of print
(search for "TTL Data Book") but you can get used ones for
ten bucks.

Back when I was teaching EE courses, the manufacturers'
sales reps would happily give me all the books I wanted.
Indeed once a year they'd give me a carton of books to
pass out to students. (It was logical for them back
then; they correctly figured that some of the students
would go off and design stuff that would lead to huge
dollar-volume orders.) But that was long ago in a galaxy
far away. Here and now the books are probably a lot
harder to get.

For the occasional small project (i.e. if you're not
making a career of it) I suggest using the manufacturers'
online selection guides e.g.
http://focus.ti.com/logic/docs/logicportal.tsp?templateId=5985
from whence a couple of clicks will get you to data
sheets e.g.
http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/74ac11074.pdf