Potential of a point charge

Does anyone else get as confused as I do with negative signs when trying to
derive the potential for a point charge?

I finally figured out my confusion but the process of :

1) delta PE = (negative) of Work done by the field

2) so that F = -qE

3) so that delta V = - integral (E dot ds)

4) BUT now dr = -ds (this is what took me a while to see)

5) so that delta V = - integral (Edr)

6) which is (for point charge) deltaV = - integral (kQ/r^2) dr

7) which integral generates another negative so delta V = kQ/r

That dr = -ds is always my stumbling block because most texts don't really
spell it out. HR&K just jump from E dot ds to Edr.

Anyway--just venting and acknowledging that this HAS to be confusing to
students who are just coming off of Gauss' Law which always confuses the
hell out of them--for reasons I don't quite understand!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: U.S. Energy 2004 -- updated/simplified
energy management simulator
SIMLAB-THE SIMPLE PENDULUM lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm