Re: Nice to demo teach about size

Look at the images in the computer piece, they are virtual copies,
pardon the pun, of the original Eames images. That smacks of copyright
issues to me.

joe

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Larry Cartwright wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I suspect IBM, and, or, the Eames office owns the concept. If a concept
can be owned sparks will fly. Especially if the digital millennium copy
write act applies.

One cannot copyright a concept; only a particular piece of creative work
is subject to copyright.

This E-mail, for example, is automatically copyrighted the moment I
publish it on Phys-L. Its unique wording is my property, and the law
does not allow you to use it without my permission except in certain
restricted ways. It does not, however, confer to me any rights to the
nature of its subject matter. You are all perfectly free to publish as
many of your own E-mails about copyright protection as you wish, as long
as you do not use exactly the same wording that I have used.

Anyone is free to create and publish their own version of the "Powers of
10" concept; but copyright law does not allow anyone to publish the
original Eames' "Powers of 10" works, in whole or in part, without
permission of the Eames Office.

I believe that people tend to get copyright and trademark confused;
trademark law is a whole different ballgame, where a concept *can*
become private property for commercial purposes. It would not be smart
to use a red-headed clown to promote your new restaurant, or a cartoon
tiger to promote your new breakfast cereal.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright Retired Physics Teacher
<exit60@cablespeed.com> Charlotte MI 48813 USA
"Information is not knowledge,
knowledge is not wisdom,
and wisdom is not foresight.
Each grows out of the other and we need them all."
(Arthur C. Clarke)

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College