Re: discovery learning

That's it, really, isn't it? You have to trick them into wanting to
know the right answer. These "ability focused" students don't worry
about the problem, they just worry about the answer. Someone mentioned
this once as the difference between physicists and engineers. Engineers
don't worry about how it works as long as it works (I'm not saying this
is true of all engineers, but I've met a few that operated this way).

You have to find a way to present problems of emerging relevance.
Create a little bit of cognitive dissonance, then they start to ask
their own questions, and answering your own questions always serves as
better motivation than answering someone else's questions (especially,
in the later case, if you don't know why they asked it).

That's the benefit of this inquiry thing. The motivation isn't getting
a good grade, receiving a degree, or not getting in trouble at home. In
the "traditional" set up, your physics class is just a hoop that has to
be jumped through. In the discovery set up, the students do the work
because they want to know the answer. This implies, like you said, that
the stuff is worth learning. That's why this technique for teaching
isn't the easiest, you have to present obstacles that the students view
as real obstacles, not as some sort of a magic trick (to be learned and
quickly forgotten after the test) that only applies to the front desk of
the physics classroom. I'm not there yet myself, but I have seen the
light!

Happy Holidays,
Matt

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a
very narrow field."

- Niels Bohr