Re: the words used in problems

At 03:33 PM 12/17/2003, you wrote:
I have wondering recently as to whether studies have been done in
which problems are written in different ways to determine students'
success or failure to answer them simply based on the way in which
the problems are worded. Also, I had heard recently that using the
word "you" in a problem is better than using "a physics student" or
"Jimmy" makes a difference in a student's ability to answer
questions. Does anyone have information on these issues?

Thanks in advance,

David Marx
Illinois State University

I suppose it may have something to do with a student's
understanding that he is being treated as an individual,
rather than an undifferentiated component of the corpus.

One slightly comparable study with which I expect you are
familiar, shows that a stranger, accosted in the street shows
much better recall for the message, if the messenger casually
touches the recipient - say on the wrist....
..A reminder that the consciousness is not a unitary state - and
that awareness has its levels of intensity.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!