Re: Thomas Young's experiment

try replacing the card with a strip whose depth is the same as its width.

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Referring to Young's experiment I wrote last night:

>. . . In my view it was a an experiment producing
> diffraction by a single obstacle. The central fringe
> was most likely two times wider than two
> neighboring fringes.

Today, after reading the original Young's paper,
sent to me by Stephen, I became aware that this
was wrong. Young was very specific about this.
He wrote: "fringes have nearly equal width where
light remains white." We know that in using white
light fringes (others than m=0) are colored. So he
was looking exactly where a two times wider (and
much more intense) diffraction peak would appear.
Young would certainly notice its double width.

Apparently, the beam of light on each side of the
slip card is acting as a single slit. But why was I
wrong in thinking that the slip card would act as
a single obstacle (like a wire)? I do not know.
Ludwik Kowalski