Re: College Credit for AP Physics

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu> writes:
At my college we give credit for the first semester of calculus-based
physics (4 semester credits) if the student has a score of 4 on the
Physics B exam. If they have a score of 5, we give them 8 semester
credits of calculus-based physics. They also get credit for the first
semester of calculus-based physics (4 semester credits) if they get a 3 or
higher on the Physics-C Mechanics exam. Note: the first semester of
calculus-based physics is mechanics.

There is an AP English Literature and an AP English Language which deals
with a very different part of the study of English. I see the same
distinction with AP-C and AP-B. They are both Physics but as different as
can be. I cannot understand why AP-B would earn credit for the Calc based
college course. Then what happens in the next level if they take it? Are
they truly prepared?

Ken Fox
IB Physics teacher (like AP-B)
former AP-C teacher
one who thinks the awarding of college credit for work done in HS is
getting out of hand.