Re: Readings for manned space flight

Last weekend I discovered the Wikipedia, which is the most expert
of all 'pedias. I'd be amazed if it doesn't have something on space
exploration. I found 'surreal numbers'.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Greg Clements wrote:

About 20 minutes of online searching produced the following links to
opinions on this topic.

http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=1998/04/19/110045

http://www.time.com/time/classroom/article/0,12422,421057,00.html

http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/preslectures/vanallen92/

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2009384

The above list of links was found through a search at Google with Van Allen
as one of the search terms. I would consider Van Allen to be an expert in
the field of space science. I recevied my Ph.D. from the U. of Iowa so I
was aware of his view on this subject.

Other articles:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2078157/entry/2078222/

http://www.ghg.net/redflame/whyhuman.htm

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0903/091203nj1.htm

On the pro-manned space flight side:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/US/shuttle_spaceprogram_poll030211.html

http://www.stanford.edu/class/comm273/ArticlesW03/PubW03/pirW03/hanley_pir4f.htm

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3953

A search of journals through our local library yields these print articles:
Nasa's Next Step , By: Grose, Thomas K., U.S. News & World Report,
00415537, 9/1/2003, Vol. 135, Issue 6

'Long Conversation' On Space Begins , By: Morring Jr., Frank, Aviation Week
& Space Technology, 00052175, 2/17/2003, Vol. 158, Issue 7

James A. van Allen "Myths and Realities of Space Flight," in the 30 May 1986
issue of Science (pp. 1075-6)

Greg Clements
Midland Lutheran College

One topic that I thought might be interesting is the
necessity/wastefulness of manned space flight. Could anyone recommend any
relevant articles?

Gary Turner

--
"Don't push the river, it flows by itself"
Frederick Perls