Re: H2

"Plus, hydrogen can be made during off-peak times."

The French already use gravitational PE to store energy in off peak
times. I don't know if the pumps become generators during peak times,
or if they use both.

bc, who thinks ME makes cogent arguments.

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Let's assume H2 is a good way to fuel transportation and run other
engines that cannot have a power cord. Let's assume it might even be=
good way to heat homes rather than natural gas (either because natura=
gas gets too scarce and expensive, or because of the CO2 problem when
burning natural gas. I know these assumptions might not be true... b=
ut
just go with it for a minute.

Why would we want to use solar or wind power to make the electricity =
make the hydrogen by electrolysis? Because these sources of electric=
ity
are clean (including no CO2) and "renewable," and conversion to hydro=
gen
is a possible way to store the energy during dark or low wind
conditions. When used, the combustion of the hydrogen is fairly clea=
n.

cut