Re: dielectric constant of water

At 09:41 PM 8/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>///what would you expect to read in your setup with a strong
> salt solution in the bag? or a thick metal plate in the bag?
>
>Brian Whatcott Altus OK

With a thick metal plate in the bag, I would expect the capacitance
to increase. I see that you're suggesting that salty water would act
like a thick metal plate producing, in effect, two capacitors in
series whose dielectric is the thin plastic bag. Being thin, the two
caps have a very small plate separation which produces a large
capacitance, but having the two in series cuts that large capacitance
in two. Is that right? -- Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rueckner

That was what I had in mind. I wrote up on this list an
informal test of water's k using kitchen foil and kitchen
wipe as a separator, and flooding the wipe with distilled
water.
But that was some years ago.
I tried rigging it again this evening, but this time used
tap water, and a different meter and found the resistance
soon became too lowfor reliable capacitance readings.
So I shall need to wait for
a fresh supply of distilled water to try again.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!