Re: when to write radians

On Tuesday, July 01, 2003 10:38 AM, Joe Heafner wrote:

I used to think that all dimensionless quantities have
radians for units, but I don't think that's quite correct.
Radians are only needed if the dimensionless quantity is the
measure of an angle.

Stating that one uses radians for angles is overlooking the meaning of
radian. It isn't simply a dimensionless unit for angle. Rather, it is
a particular one, i.e., length of arc per length of radius when both are
measured with the same units.

Wouldn't "degree" also be a dimensionless quantity? Just because it is
dimensionless and refers to an angle does not mean it is equivalent to a
radian. Suppose we define a smidgen as 1/360 of a meter. Then a degree
can be defined as the ratio (smidgen of arc)/(m of radius). Wouldn't
this be a dimensionless quantity?

P.S. Wouldn't the unit conversion "180 degree per radian" also be a
dimensionless quantity?

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301