Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper

"Supposing that Bernard paid $4.20 for his Quartzline 500 W bulb,
that would represent 95.2 lumen.hours per watt.cent.

The projector bulb, on account of its reduced life and increased cost
is not a candidate for general purpose illumination on this account,
at < 1 lumen.hour per watt.cent and would be replaced in a modern
design by a halogen incandescent or xenon strobe source.

Brian Whatcott Altus"

I took the only comparable pair available (old table, which gives nearly the extremen.), so BW is quite correct in faulting the comparison.

Until the advent of concentrated arc lamps and then inexpensive LASERs, Std. lab lamps were W ribbon filaments operating at 6 => 14 V. The 30A/T20/4 at 30A has so long a life that it's not given in that table It's a 60 cd; T (color) 2300 K; 225 W lamp. If "over voltage" to 640 W; 700 cd; 3000 K, it still has a long life. However, another table gives its life as 300 hr. at 3100 and 100 at 3200 (color temp.)

A tungsten table gives the evaporation rate of W as a function of temp. (deg. Kelvin; color temp. and thermo. temp. differ by ~ 50 to 110 deg. in this range). If one assumes that life is proportional to the rate, I find the life is exponential with one order for ~ every 200 deg. Therefore, at 3,000 deg. the life should be ~ 1k hr. and at 2300 ~ > 100 k hr. Long before this, the envelop will be darkened.

bc

p.s. I think it was I. Langmuir's * great invention to add an inert gas to reduce the evaporation rate. Again a trade off: much longer life, but reduced efficiency due to the thermal conductivity.

* Yes (1913), and I discover that H. Becquerel (1867!) was the inventor of the fluorescent lamp!