Re: Season misconceptions in newspaper

John Clement wrote:

And yes, fluorescents are the way to go, but only if they have been well
made. One popular brand has a short lifetime and as a result is not a
bargain according to Consumer Reports.

One other thing to consider - there are many of us whose visual "flicker
fusion frequency" is significantly higher than average. Fluorescent lights
that most people see as glowing steadily are constantly oscillating in
brightness in our peripheral vision. Going to a grocery store or the local
Wal-Mart is sheer torture. I have removed the fluorescent light bulbs in my
office and use only incandescent lighting. I teach my classes with the
shades fully up to let in maximum sunlight. I leave only the last row of
fluorescents on in the room. Students who really want the excess lighting
can sit there. Surprisingly, the students adapt very quickly to the use of
predominantly natural lighting - they now protest if someone walks into the
room and turns on the lights. We use whiteboards and markers, students have
no problem seeing the class material.

Bob at PC