Re: physics final project

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:

Over the

year I would accumulate computers, kitchen appliances, TVs, VCRs, hair
dryers, cameras etc. Then near the end of the year, we'd spend a few days
taking all these things apart. The kids loved it (some had never used a
screwdrivers) and we would discuss how the various things works:

Have you ever tried using this as an exploration-type activity

earlier in the year (and then repeated the activity at the end

as an "extension")?

No, I never did that, but perhaps I will if I go back to HS physics
teaching. Instead I had other engineering-type projects, such as designing
& building mousetrap powered cars and boats. (Another idea for Mitch,
although it doesn't tie together as many fields of physics.) The
dissection activity, by the way, grew from being a two-day event to a
whole week, there's so much to do. For example, beyond just IDing
transformers, I'd have them take some transformers apart. Unraveling all
of the coil wire makes an impression so they'll never forget how one is
constructed!

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Regester 781-283-2708
Whitin Observatory jregester@wellesley.edu