Re: Testing statistical thermo (was: Re: TdS is not dQ or d(anything))

Pentcho Valev wrote:

Here the idea that heat is ESSENTIALLY different from work is clearly
expressed.
Let us test eq. /2/ by considering an analogous situation. We have a large
group of people each of which possesses a certain amount of money. Let

M = SUM n_i m_i /6/

be the total amount of money in the group and n_i is the number of people whose
money is m_i. Through exchanging money with the outside world M slightly
changes and the change can be expressed in two ways:

dM = SUM m_i dn_i + SUM n_i dm_i /7/

dM = SUM m_i dn_i /8/

In my view /8/ is correct whereas /7/ is meaningless. If so and if the analogy
is correct, statistical thermodynamics rests on a wrong foundation. The reason
is that heat is regarded as essentially different from work.

Pentcho

I'm not sure why you're uncomfortable with the second term in your eqn /7/. Suppose
there is a systematic inflation or devaluation of all the currencies during the
trading process. The dm_i term now makes sense. In a similar fashion, doing work on
the system may change the potentials involved in such a way as to change the
numerical values of the allowed e_i for the n_i particles. Whether or not it's
correct to associate

sum n_i de_i

with work is a different question, but the term in the equation is not meaningless.

Bob at PC