Re: Question On Proton Decay.

In a message dated 5/8/2003 1:33:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV
writes:

Experimental searches are not governed (hopefully) by theoretical
prejudices. A high energy lepton, accompanied by another track, seen in a
detector would certainly be analyzed with a variety of hypotheses as to
the nature of the process involved.

Thank you for responding to my question. I didn't mean to imply that
experimentalists would ignore an event not predicted by a current theory. I
believe most important science paradigm changes are the result of surprising
observations or unexpected experimental results rather than theoretical
speculation.
Rather the point of my question was to ferret out any possible theoretical
considerations that would favor a x (+-4/3) channel decay event over a
y(+-13) channel decay event in proton decay. There are none that I know of
but seemingly the X channel decay event is the most cited as the expected
result of proton decay in SU(5) theory.

Bob Zannelli