Re: Mercury transit later this week

In case Dan's message got you excited about the transit, but you have
not yet checked the times, most people in the United States will not see
the transit. I begins at 5:12 GMT and ends at 10:31 GMT. For those in
the EDT-zone, that tranlates to 1:12 AM to 6:31 AM. In my location the
sun rises at 5:27 on May 7, so I could possibly see the end of the
transit, but I will need a clear view of the eastern horizon, and I will
be looking through a lot of air.

People living east of a line running from Michigan to South Carolina
might catch a bit of the ending, but those living west of this line
won't catch any of the transit.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Chair of Sciences