Re: A question about s paper in Jour ofResearch in Math Ed 34(2003)4 (fwd)

Hi all-
The above paper reports on the comments made by eight students who
were asked to validate purported proofs of a simple theorem (n a positive
integer, n^{2} is divisible by 3 -> n is divisible by 3, any integer can
be written as 3n, 3n+1, 3n+2 is also given). What grabbed my attention
was that only two of the validators were able to prove the theorem.
I have permission of one of the authors (Selden and Selden) to
forward the below exchange to this net for comment.
Note my presumptuous remark about Phys-L members.
I suggest that Annie be made a copy recipient of any comments.
Regards,
Jack

--
"What did Barrow's lectures contain? Bourbaki writes with some
scorn that in his book in a hundred pages of the text there are about 180