Re: visualizing a non-potential

On 04/27/2003 01:44 AM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
It looks like there is a height change if one takes a step radially. In the
betatron E field, moving at right angles to the circular field lines involves no
work.

Yes, this property of the diagram is an unwanted artifact.

But it is very minor, because if you go a long distance
in the radial direction, there is no cumulative up/down
motion. Also, this artifact goes away entirely in the
continuum limit.

I added a discussion of this point to
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/non-potential.htm#sec-fish-scale

Perhaps you need steps in the form of radial strips, rather than small
circles.

That would work fine in this particular example, but
wouldn't handle the general case. We want to be able
to represent non-exact one-forms such as PdV, where
no easy simplifications are available.