Re: Why called diffraction?

John Denker wrote:

Suppose I have two pointlike scatterers.
Delta function potentials. Born approximation
and all that.

To my taste, I would like to call the result
a diffraction pattern. The fact that two is
a finite number does not discourage me at all.

I accept your taste in this matter because I do think there is a
large portion of taste involved in the decision. Nevertheless, my
taste would certainly be just the opposite. It seems to me that what
you are describing is essentially a classic Michelson
"interferometer" pattern and, as such, it is a poster child for
interference phenomena.

I don't think the numerousness of the lines in
the grating that is the key idea. I think the
_spacing_ between the lines is what makes it a
diffraction grating. Eight or ten lines is enough
to do a pretty good job (although not maximally
convenient to set up).

Interesting. Because, again, I would have said just the opposite:
To me, classic "diffraction" is what you get when the spacing between
sources is zero as in integrating over an infinite number of
infinitesimal continuous sources within an aperture or over a half
plane.