Wimshurst generator question

In the past I have participated in a "demonstration" involving a Wimshurst generator that I suspect most on this list have at one time or another been involved with. A large number of people hold hands the first in the chain places their hand on one end of the generator a few cranks of the handle are made and the last person on the chain touches the other end of the generator. Everyone in the chain receives a simultaneous shock. I have recently been thinking about this demonstration and wondering if anyone in the chain may be placing themselves in danger. Any thoughts or experience that may shed some light?

Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think. Niels Bohr