Re: non-dissipative circuitry

Thanks to JD in addition to DB.

I remember a series LCR experiment in Sophomore Lab. (My independent try
was in HS.) The R a 100?W lamp with the L having a removable (variable L)
core. I also remember the Voltages (PDs) across the L and C at resonance
(lamp fully lighted) were very high, 600? V.

"Since the Q is supposed to be infinite the transient decay time is
also infinite. The circuit is completely operated in the regime
where the initial conditions still strongly matter. If we wait until
a steady state response develops that is *too* long since by then the
dissipation will have kicked in with a vengeance and this would have
defeated the purpose of having a nearly dissipationless process."

The posts induced me to create a program that gives the current as a
function of time. Counter intuitively, but agreeing with the above, I find
the time to reach "steady state" is inverse to the R. e.g. for 6 ohms ~
4.5 cycles to reach 63%, (steady state is ~ 20 A), and ~ 15 cycles for 2
ohms. (60 A; period ~ 17 msec)

"No. I meant what I said. The current in the circuit will be in-phase
with the *applied* voltage across the circuit. The applied voltage
will be zero when the current is zero, but at such a moment the
charge on the capacitor and the voltage across the capacitor will be
a local maximum."

Duhh. bc hits head. An analytic truth.

bc

David Bowman wrote:

Regrading bc's comment:

I tried this once -- of course the circuit elements were less than ideal
-- fortunately the circuit was fused!! (The 30 A. circuit breaker)

In order to get the R.M.S. current up to 30 A it appears that you
may have had quite a high Q--unless that current came about because
the growing voltage swings breached the capacitor's dielectric and
the circuit shorted out and cooked the cap (& maybe the inductor as
well).

I suspect David intended to open the circuit at max. voltage in order to
leave the cap. charged. If I remember correctly this will be at zero
current.

No. I meant what I said. The current in the circuit will be in-phase
with the *applied* voltage across the circuit. The applied voltage
will be zero when the current is zero, but at such a moment the

cut