Re: camera flash sound

Mike Edmiston wrote:
| my old fashioned self is inclined to reserve the
| wording "switching supply"
| to units that achieve a lower DC voltage from a higher DC voltage by
| varying the duty cycle of the output transistor.
| Has the wording taken on broader meaning?

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Yes, there are "voltage boosting" switching arrangements. In one
method, eg., the charged capacitor and "singing" inductor are
discharged in additive series through the load. Google can probably
amplify.

I vote with Bob.

Indeed there are "buck / boost" supplies that can
produce an output voltage larger and/or smaller
than the input voltage, for instance something that
puts out a solid 12v while the input changes
arbitrarily in the range of 3v to 48v.

This is the terminology I learned from R. D.
Middlebrook, and I am strongly inclined to trust
him on such things.