Re: Batteries and Capacitors

It's probably an engineering reason:
1, A rather high voltage batt. is necessary. i.e. > 200 V ?
2, Sophisticated switching necessary to open the circuit when the
correct charge has been deposited in the victim.
3, Less expensive and lighter?

Reminds me of a Rowan Atkins skit in which he revives a man using the
wires from a lamp standard. (They are waiting for a bus.) Then
accidentally kills him with the wires.

bc

p.s. DC charge storage is a rather infrequent use of caps. except in
Phys. Lab.
p.p.s. I recently read that portable ones are being bought in large
quantities for emergency use -- forgot where (building supers?, fire, and
police?)

Tina Fanetti wrote:

For almost all practical purposes, a battery can be
thought of as a capacitor with a huuuuge capacitance
and crummy high-frequency performance.<<<

But why? We were talking about defilbilators and how thay have capac=
itors in them. Why can't they just use a batteries in the device?

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429