Re: decisionmaking under uncertainty (was: global warming)

Some time ago there was a thread about abduction, as distinct from
induction or deduction. Abduction or hypothetico-deduction has built
into it the logical "weakness" of any inductive process...we never get
proof in the classical sense of demonstration which is essentially
deductive. What we get is enough evidence that we are willing to say
something is likely true.

David Hume had some interesting things to say about this.