Re: FW: politeness etc.

"Traditional university physics culture (especially graduate study and
research) has embraced the often-hostile, cutting "legal
advocacy-style" debate of ideas and usually neglects the interpersonal
relationship side of interactions. Traditional physics culture is
almost certainly responsible for creating a lack of particular
populations -- like women and African-Americans in the field; they're
staying away in droves. Physics continues to pay a high price for this
traditional culture. Some of us want this culture to change, and we
are working very hard at change. (AIP even reports that there are fewer
than 1% minorities in _HS level_ physics teaching.)"

Coincidence: Yesterday on National Petroleum Radio I heard two women trail
blazers at Harvard Law School where the Faculty were proud that there were
no Women's rooms in the building. They reported how difficult "The Paper
Chase" was for them.

The Dean had a separate meeting for the woman. He asked them why they had
come to HLS. Fortunately, the first one put him in his place: "Because I
couldn't get into Yale."

bc who in US grad school had only one woman colleague and she switched to
Math! In England at least 1/3 of the seniors were women, fewer,
unfortunately, grad students.