Re: Venus?

As I recall (My dad was a strong believer of Velikovsky's theories) The proposal was that some mysterious "electromagnetic" forces were the cause of the effects on Earth.
skip

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Burns-Kaurin [mailto:mburns-k@SPELMAN.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 09:01
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Venus?

I think Velikovsky's idea was that Venus was somehow ejected from Jupiter,
bounced around the solar system for a while, then settled into its present
orbit. Presumably at some point Venus approached Earth and exerted its
mysterious torque, then left. I suppose conservation of angular momentum
would let Earth start rotating again.

If I recall correctly, he also ties this into the rain of manna and several
other biblical stories.

Michael Burns-Kaurin
Spelman College