Re: Electric Field Mapping

I use the Pasco paper also.

(1) Pasco originally sold paint with nickel powder. I think they
switched to silver powder, but I am not sure because I don't by the ink
from them anymore. I buy silver paint from a vendor that caters to
printed-circuit applications. Anyway, silver paint is better than
nickel paint.

(2) Thickness of line is important. If it is not thick enough then it
is too resistive. If it is too thick then bending the paper a little
bit can crack the paint line and cause a discontinuity. Therefore there
is an optimum thickness. Basically you want it as thick as possible
without making it lose some degree of flexibility.

(3) As others have pointed out, it needs to be dry.

(4) As others have pointed out, you need to shake the pen well to get
the silver distributed in the pen.

(5) As others have pointed out, it is often worthwhile to connect
opposite sides with an actual wire, or (stated differently) to connect
the power supply to both ends

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton College