Re: There's work, and then there's work

Robert Cohen wrote:

I would like to respond to David Rutherford's argument that energy is=
associated with both the heat gained by the surroundings (via what h=
e calls the transverse component velocity) and the kinetic energy ass=
ociated with the current (which he relates to the longitudinal compon=
ent velocity).

This is actually a common source of confusion for my students and so =
I would like to see it better addressed than it has. DR is right tha=
t, at any given time, only part of the energy (associated with the ki=
netic energy of the electrons) will be converted to heat as measured =
by the calorimeter experiment. However, the key point that I think m=
y students (if not DR) miss is that eventually the current will stop.=
At that point, all of the energy will be dissipated to the calorime=
ter.

What about the energy dissipated as heat to the galvanometer?

-
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/newtransform.pdf

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf