Re: Electric Field Mapping

As I recall, I improved the symmetry by placing another contact on the
ring directly opposite from the first, ie 180 degrees apart. Perhaps that
will help.

cheers,

joe

Fanetti wrote:

Hi all
Today's physics lab was using the Pasco field mapper kits to map the =
Electric field and lines of equipotential.

Okay so my students were given a point charge with a guard ring aroun=
d it. It just wouldn't seem to work. =20
One problem was that the potential difference on the guard ring wasn'=
t constant. The farther you got from the point where the electrode w=
as connected, the lower the potential difference got. Shouldn't it b=
e the same?

What's going on?
Tina (user error...lots of it)

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662