Re: There's work, and then there's work

Typo.? correction:

"This is because the currents set up a magnetic field in the galvanometer coil, attached to a
spring, and (the field) interacts with a permanent magnet ." recast, poorly

The usual galvo. has a moving coil with a spring supplying the restoring force and a fixed
permanent magnet.

bc not a bi-vector wincer, but an apparatus picker

p.s. mute? point (I don't think moot is the correct word either.)

p.p.s. Which, whether used as a conjunction or to introduce a NON-restrictive clause, must
be preceded by a comma. That, without a comma, introduces restrictive clauses.

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

David Rutherford wrote:

Why don't you assume that an equal amount of opposite charge flows in
the opposite direction. That would double the total charge and make the
energy equal to CV^2, not 1/2 CV^2. If the answer is no, please explain
why not (Obviously, I'm rethinking my claim that my theory gives 1/2
CV^2 and that 1/2 CV^2 is the correct answer).

A galvanometer would respond to both negative charges flowing in one direction and
positive in the other with the same direction of swing of the indicator. This is because
the currents set up a magnetic field in the galvanometer coil which then interacts with a
permanent magnet attached to a spring. The flow of negative and positive charges in
opposite directions would set up the same magnetic field direction in the coil. Therefore,
all possible currents are actually being measured. I can sense the bi-vector people
wincing as they read this :-)

Also, since the negative electrons are the only feasible current carriers available to
actually travel through the wires, it's a rather mute point.

Bob at PC