Re: There's work, and then there's work

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

On Monday, Jan 27, 2003, David Rutherford wrote:

Therefore, in my opinion, using the current in the
determination of the energy is invalid, since it almost
entirely discounts the energy of the positive atoms.

Suppose a calorimetric experiment, similar to that
described earlier, was performed. Suppose the
outcome of the experiment is essentially the same
as that obtained from the "current method." Would
you still argue that the current method is not good?

I don't need to do the calorimetric experiment. I can determine that the
energy is CV^2, since I can claim that the energy of the positive atoms
(assuming they are free) _must be_ the same as the energy of the free
electrons, in the "current method". Since the current method basically
gives only the energy of the free electrons, I can double the result
that I get, using that method, to get the total energy. The result of
the "current method" is 1/2 CV^2, so if I double that, I get CV^2 for
the energy stored in the capacitor.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf