Re: Inertial vs gravitational mass

I heard a squeak.

Balance (equal arm); one mass (weight) is lead the other aluminum. Stays
"balanced" when the elevator accelerates.

Also in the elevator is (was) a spring scale "accelerometer". I suppose
two of them with different materials for the "weights" would also show
equivalence of different matter. I proposed to the building honchos at
UCSC that I install a bathroom scale in the Nat. Sciences II elevator
along with the two above. They OK'd it, but I never got around to doing
it. This did add to my "kooky" reputation.

bc

STRatliff@NWC.EDU wrote:

Bernard,
Would you please tell us a little more about the demonstration?
Thanks.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
bc who enjoyed observing the extremely crude equivalence demo. >every
time I
rode in the UCSB Physics building's elevator.

Steven T. Ratliff
Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Ave. N.