Re: Segway info

An obvious typo boo-boo on my part - see the final line below.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor

| |

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007EPJ6/ref=segway_tn_lef
| t/103-6703733-8593400
| |
| | It says:
| | "The number of teeth on each gear is chosen
| | to produce noninteger gear ratios."
| |
| | Oh reeeeeeally?
| |
| | Such gears must be lubricated with 100% snake oil.
| |
| | Non-integer ratios would be quite astounding,
| | considering that the gear ratio is equal to the
| | number of teeth on one gear divided by the number
| | of teeth on the other gear. It just cracks me
| | up to visualize a gear with a non-integral number
| | of teeth.

Bob S answered:

| It is the RATIO which is to be non-integer, not the number of teeth.
| EG: Teeth numbers of 24 and 12 have an integer ratio: 24/12 = 2.
| OTOH teeth numbers of 24 and 13 have a non-integer ratio: 24/12 = 1.846.
.

THE END OF THE ABOVE LINE SHOULD BE: 24/13 = 1.846. . .

Bob S.