Re: There's work, and then there's work

a) "microscopic mechanical work" with what we called
"frame-specific total work" -- W_tot

b) "mechanical pseudowork" with what we simply called
"pseudowork" -- W_ps

c) "thermodynamic work" with what we called
"system-specific external work" -- w_ext

For what it's worth, I weigh in with Sciamanda, Mallinckrodt, and
Rauber. In particular, I agree that the above are the 3 most
important kinds of work. My preferred names for them are:

(a) particle work
(b) center-of-mass work
(c) thermodynamic work

Note in particular that I reject the loaded names "pseudowork" and "real work."

Also, I agree that (a) is the most conceptually powerful, (b) the
easiest and safest to calculate correctly, and (c) is the most
limited and dangerous. For example, (c) is ill-defined for the usual
problem of a block sliding across a rough table, (b) is trivially
-f*x where f = frictional force and x = distance slid, and (a)
creates plenty of interesting discussion stemming from Bernard and
Sherwood's controversial paper (AJP 52:1001 1984) which should be
required reading for all intro physics instructors. In particular (a)
is not -f*x which usually gets relegated to cryptic footnotes in
physics texts.

And no, I'm not going to get dragged into a flame war again, Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026