From: Hugh Haskell [mailto:hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:45 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Jean-Baptiste Biot (a really really old geezer)

At 14:32 -0600 1/23/03, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

For your amusement, I just came across an astounding item.
One I wasn't
aware of, probably some of you already know this.

Biot of the Biot and Savart law lived to be 118 years Old!!!

(And who says E&M isn't good for you).

I saw this in two sources.
One of which is

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02576a.htm

The other is a footnote in the new E&M book by Pollack & Stump

The Universe never ceases to amaze.

I suspect somebody read a nine for a six in his death date. According
to Asimov's Biorphical Encyclopedia, Biot's dates were 1774-1862,
which still a not-too-shabby 88. I hope I last that long. These dates
are confirmed by the Cambridge Dictionary of Scientists (1996), The
Oxford Dictionary of Scientists (1999), and the Larousse Dictionary
of Scientists (1994). Unless, of course, they all got their
information from Asimov's book which was published in 1982.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams