Re: A Geometrical Proof of the Non-invariance of the Spacetime Interval

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

David Rutherford wrote:

For anybody who has looked at my paper,

http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/newtransform.pdf

I've made a correction to the last paragraph in Section 6. I don't
really want to discuss it in this thread; I just wanted those who've
looked at it to know there's been a change. It's related to what's being
discussed here.

I'm a little curious why you bother to bring ideas up before this group.
Everyone who has responded (unless I've missed posts to the contrary) has
tried to point out to you that measuring the interval between events by
using coordinates from another observers frame of reference is simply wrong
headed.

Please answer these questions for me (everyone is free to answer):

In your opinion,

(1) Is it possible for observers in a reference frame to claim that the
spatial location of an event(events) is(are) fixed in that frame, at all
times? That is, can they always claim that it(they) occurred at a given
set of spatial coordinates, in that frame?

(2) Can two reference frames, in uniform motion with respect to each
other, both claim that the spatial locations of the events are fixed in
their frame, at all times.

(3) Where and when do you measure the spatial distance between two
events that are separated by a time interval, in a frame? Is it an
instantaneous measurement?

(4) If you had breakfast in Los Angeles and lunch in San Diego, would
you really tell _anybody_ that you had breakfast and lunch in the
same place?

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf