"Physics on the Subway"

"Physics on the Subway" (really right now "Physics on the Bus", and local
buses in the Amherst
area at that) is a project I have been working on for some time. It went
public last week - on the
buses and on the web.

This is something that I think many readers of this list might find
interesting. Of course, many
physics profs have websites with physics questions - Doing it with these
"cartoons" and also
putting the physical placards out there on the buses for the commuters seems
to give it a little
extra appeal. (Anyhow, I've gotten a lot of emails this week of the type:
"Thank you for
something to read about beyond war, smallpox, deception, poverty, .....")

Please visit the website: www.amherst.edu/~physicsqanda

Please FEEL COMPLETELY FREE to print out these placards, post them anywhere
(on your
buses!), whatever use you would like to make of them.

Also, please suggest more questions for the buses and website,
clarifications in wording, etc.
(I've spent a lot of time during the past week replying patiently to emails
that tell me "I say the
trike really goes backward, it's only common sense". I try to respond
patiently - "Go borrow a
trike, and try it" - but I don't need any more of those.)

Of course, I am hoping to move beyond the buses here, on to the Boston
subways, the NYC
subways, BART, etc. etc. But at the moment I have used up all the Amherst
College funding I
can get, and significant sums are coming out of my own pocket.

Anyhow, suggestions for further questions and especially ideas on who might
like to fund more
of these messages would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Romer, Amherst College
rhromer@amherst.edu