Re: A Geometrical Proof of the Non-invariance of the Spacetime Interval

Michael Burns-Kaurin wrote:

I think the Galilean example helps avoid confusion. Do I understand
correctly, then, that you are simply interested in the distance between the
points where events E1and E2 occur?

If you mean by distance, the spatial interval between E1 and E2, the
answer is no. I'm interested in both the distance and time intervals
between E1 and E2.

Do I further understand correctly that
you would like that distance to be the same in both reference frames?

For v << c the distance would be (nearly) the same in both reference
frames, but for relativistic speeds, it would not.

If my understanding is correct, then please explain why you seem to choose
to give priority to frame F, by wanting the distance measured in F' to not
be zero. That seems to violate the basic principle of relativity, either
Galilean or special. Maybe the stake driven in at event E1 has moved
according to F', but the event of the stake-driving does not "move". The
distance between the stakes at the time of E2 is not given by transforming
E1, since E1 is an event that occurs at a specific time (zero). If you
want the distance between the stakes at the time of E2, you need an event
E3 that occurs at the location of the first stake at that time, and you
must determine that time.

Suppose you have breakfast in Los Angeles then you drive to San Diego
and have lunch there. Do you claim to have had breakfast and lunch in
the same place?

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/actreact.pdf
"Energy Density Correction"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/enerdens.pdf
"Proposed Quantum Mechanical Connection"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/quantum.pdf