Re: Induced EMF on loop

Kari asked

how is it possible to measure induced emf in a circular loop?

I think that Kari addressed the question in a way that the circular loop is
*not* cut. When the loop is
moving into a magnetic field a changing magnetic flux induces an emf. This is a
standard high school physics problem:
the shape of the loop is rectangular, the magnetic field is uniform, velocity
of the loop is kept constant etc.
Of course the concept of potential difference does not apply in the case of
induced emf; the loop is in the same potential at all points.

The problem as I see it, is how to measure the induced emf if the loop is not
cut. How a voltmeter or an oscilloscope
should be connected in this case? Does it matter where the voltmeter leads are
connected in the loop
(close or far away from each other)? Would a voltmeter measure differently in
cases of uncut and cut loops
which are otherwise similar?

Regards,

Antti

Antti Savinainen
Senior Lecturer in Physics and Mathematics
Kuopion Lyseo High School
Puijonkatu 18
70110 Kuopio, FINLAND
E-mail: antti.savinainen@kuopio.fi