Re: AJP and TPT abstract search

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 08:39 PM, Chuck Britton wrote:

Is there a chance that the AAPT will eventually allow us to subscribe
ONLY to the electronic version of their publications??

The paper has a bad tendency to pile up around here and I pretend
that the e-versions would be a better choice.

Cool question. I don't make these decisions and don't know the cost
effectiveness of this vs. the effort to offer and administer this
option yet for AAPT. I'll guess at almost certainly eventually.

APS journal subscriptions (_Phys Rev B_ etc) can now be purchased in
this fashion, and the AIP has been encouraging members to reduce paper
subscriptions by raising costs of paper subscriptions and not raising
costs of electronic subs for the past few years (though all will soon
start going up, the gap will be maintained). The entire scientific
journals industry is gradually moving from the model of buying a paper
subscription to purchasing database access, with print-on-demand
available at extra cost. The transition may never be 100% completed
and I suspect we'll be able to buy traditional paper subscriptions for
a lifetime yet. I like paper for reading monthly, electronic for
searching (but electronic only goes back so far...)

A question to ponder for you -- what will you own when you cease to
subscribe? Does this upset you?? Libraries freak out a little about
this...

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SCIE BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave , Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>