Re: unexpected obstacles

--- John Clement <clement@HAL-PC.ORG> wrote:

Absolutely, it is a political problem, but it is
also a social problem.
There is ample evidence that we are living a new
gilded age. In the 50s
there was social pressure that mandated low CEO
wages compared to the middle
class. There was a feeling that we should have an
egalitarian society.
This social contract has broken down and the
difference between the top
wages and the middle wages is now more typical of
the 1890s. (snip)

An excellent book related to this subject is "Wealth
and Democracy" by Kevin Phillips. KP worked for Nixon
in the late 60s and is hardly a lefty. (But today RMN
would be decidedly left of center!) Lots of discussion
and data about how the bottom 20% has lost ground (in
the past 20 years), the middle has stagnated, and the
top 1% has done fabulously, based on both wealth and
income. Historical parallels both with earlier US
history as well as England and Holland. John Barrere