Re: unexpected obstacles

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Scott Goelzer wrote:

I have had the same problems with students and it is getting worse.
IMHO the source of the problem is that few students have been exposed
to failure. To protect their self esteem, any product is complemented.
Students are rarely told - 'this is wrong, do it again' (the short
version of the sci method). This has lead to a fascinating and sudden
change in student culture.

I didn't want to open this can of worms, but I too highy suspect
that we are reaping the rewards of the "self esteem" movement in education
from the late 80's and through the 90's.

What have I been doing? I have found the outcome based labs are very
effective with both groups. These are labs such as the classic
'calculate where to place the cup so the projectile lands in it'. There
is a definite, concrete standard of success. No opinions or personal
judgments. Any lab can be made outcome based.

This is a really good idea, Scott. I'm going to give it a try with
my next intro. physics cours labs. However, do you have ideas on how to
handle the same problem in an upper level theory course?

Mike Monce
Connecticut College