Re: unexpected obstacles

Thanks to Tim and Mike for their responses. After 20
years of
teaching I was beginning to harbor some thoughts that I had
begun to "lose it" The audiences seem to have shifted; now
how do we deal with this new reality????

I wish I knew. I have tried many approaches. More video -
less video. More web work - less web work. More labs -
less labs. More or less of this - more or less of that. But
the minute I ask them to think for themselves, I'm being
unfair. All most want, is to be entertained. I do have a
few, that really do work hard, but the number is
dwindling every year. In Ohio, I see a big push to do
research in high school, but in my experience research
requires a lot of work and I don't think most students will
get excited about doing research either. I certaintly have
not figured out a way to deal with this new reality and in
talking with many teachers, I am not alone.

Tim O'Donnell - Celina High School