Re: unexpected obstacles,was Ask Marilyn "geometry test"

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Larry Cartwright wrote:

"Michael N. Monce" wrote:
Could you explain more why you believe this? When I teach,
specifically, a year-long course in experimental physics I *purposefully*
make the instructions for each lab vague. I tell the students up front
that they will be expected to figure out the how to set up the equipment,
test it out, calibrate it, then decide how best to do their measurements.
My background to them is usually working through the details of the
theory. Questions from them about the workings of an experiment are
usually met by me with a question back to them. A well-framed question,
but I generally refuse to give them the answer directly.

Why do you do this; i.e., what is the purpose of this purposeful
obfuscation?

Best wishes,

Larry

The purpose is to get the students to work on their own, gain
direct experience in thinking through problems, and making decisions with
regard to data. For this sophomore/junior level course I am trying to
simulate a realistic experimental research environment. The difference is
that the experiments are well-understood in terms of the physics. They
don't have to design apparatus; just set it up and calibrate it. But they
have to learn to make the proper choices. They have, on average, two
weeks in which to perform a particular lab, so this isn't something that
is done in one 3 hour afternoon session. They have time to make mistakes
and then learn from them.
If a piece of equipment breaks down, I fix it, etc. However, I do
"throw them in the pool" otherwise. What keeps me doing this is their
progression over the year. The first couple of labs are rough for them. By
the end of the spring semester they undertake a final project in which they
design their own experiment, do the theory, and then present the results in a
class seminar. I figure if at the end they can stand on their own without
my help, then I've accomplished something.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College