Re: Meauring Volts?

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 11:21 AM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

What we need is a word like "oomph" that is not as unwieldy as
"potential difference" and that does not bias us toward an arbitrary
unit system like "voltage."

The Powerful Ideas in Physical Science (PIPS) curriculum sold by
AAPT for preparing elem teachers describes simple circuits in terms
of the "obstacleness and the oomph" which I think is pretty cool.

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SCIE BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave , Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>