Re: Surface charge distribution

We agree that there must be no tangential field at any shell surface. The
field lines inside are all normal to the surface. So the charge cannot be
uniformaly distributed over the inner surface, because the field from the
induced charge could not cancel the tangential components of the
off-center charge. By golly, you're right!

So it is important to go through the analysis step by step.
Thanks for reminding me.
Jack